As required by the Code of Virginia §27-97, the State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) issues permits for the storage, use, and sale of explosives in areas with no local enforcement. This includes investigation of complaints.
Permits are renewed annually at a fee of $250 for all explosive USE permits and $150 for explosive STORAGE. Written verification that the applicant is bonded is required to properly obtain a USE permit. Explosives and detonators are required to be in separate permitted magazines.
In those localities where the State Fire Marshal’s Office has enforcement authority, a separate application to use explosives is required for each city or county in which the applicant plans or intends to USE explosives. If an applicant operates in multiple jurisdictions, multiple applications and permits are required. An application fee of $250 is required for each separate USE permit. Photocopies of applications are acceptable.
If a locality has a fire official, then the permit has to be obtained from the local fire official.
You may download permit applications from this site or call the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (804) 371-0220 for applications or questions regarding the explosive permit process.
For more information on explosives permits, firework displays, blaster certification and/or background clearance cards, contact:
- State Fire Marshal,
- John Cullinane, 804-371-7270,
- Steven Sites, 540-317-7670,
- Or call our general office number: 804-371-0220
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
- International Society of Explosive Engineers
- ISEE’s “World of Explosives”
- Free viewing of the complete set of Virginia Building and Fire Codes
- What to expect after blast damage has occurred
- Blasting complaint procedures for property owners
- Blasting - Frequently Asked Questions
- Blaster Certification and Background Clearance Card renewal changes
- What to do if your home is damaged by blasting
- Notice to terminate FAXed application
- Policy Statement on Blaster Re-Certification Hours and Sources
- Required Notification for USE of Explosives
- PPV vs. Richter Scale
- Blaster Certification Exam, Candidate Information Bulletin
- SMFO Certified Blasters list
- SFPC for Explosives and Fireworks
- Statewide Fire Prevention Code Shot Record
- Application for Emergency or Special Operations permit to USE explosives based on 2012 SFPC
- Application for annual permit to MANUFACTURE explosives based on 2012 SFPC
- Application for annual permit to SELL explosives based on 2012 SFPC
- Application for annual permit to STORE explosives based on 2012 SFPC
- Application for annual permit to USE explosives based on 2012 SFPC
- Application for Background Clearance Card (BCC), Blaster or Pyrotechnician Certification
- Application for Replacement Certification or BCC Card