Public Fire and Life Safety Education Programs
The VDFP Communications, Public Affairs and Public Outreach Office is responsible for effectively communicating fire and emergency services information to the general population, members of the fire and emergency services community, the media and local governments in a timely, accurate and consistent manner.
Keeping the public informed is a critical component of fire prevention. Through news releases, public service announcements and radio and television interviews, the Public Affairs Office ensures that the latest information is released to the appropriate target audience.
As an additional responsibility of this office, VDFP produces a variety of informational pieces in an attempt to keep citizens informed as to operations and available programs and services. These include regular newsletters, brochures, annual report, and course catalog, among other informational outlets. Click here to access our publication library.
If you are a media representative need information, please complete the media inquiry form.
The Virginia Department of Fire Programs (VDFP) provides technical assistance to local fire departments, health educators, medical and public health professionals, classroom teachers, elder service providers, community and service organizations, parents, caregivers, and anyone else interested in collaborating on fire and life safety education.
VDFP assists fire prevention efforts by:
- Conducting research to identify statewide fire safety education needs utilizing the Virginia Fire Incident Reporting System (VFIRS).
- Coordinating existing statewide fire and injury prevention efforts.
- Developing goals, programs, and partnerships to increase statewide fire and injury prevention efforts.
- Serving as liaison between federal, state, and local agencies and organizations involved in fire and life safety.
- Developing public education materials in several forms and by making the materials available for statewide use.
- VDFP's Virginia Fire Marshal Academy offers various courses including Public Fire and Life Safety Educator and Juvenile Fire-setter Intervention Specialist.
- General Facts and Information on a variety of fire safety topics for the public and fire educators to download and reproduce.
- Lesson Plans - curriculum for ages pre-k through 8th grade. Lesson plans are either correlated to the Virginia or National SOL's.
- Activities - Coloring pages, puzzles, games and more for you to download and reproduce!
- Public Service Announcements - Radio/TV/Print PSA's for you to use in your community.
- SOS FIRES: Youth Intervention Programs - find an intervention program in your area.
- Virginia Fire and Life Safety Coalition - a group of educators from across the Commonwealth dedicated to fire and life safety.